"Pumping Tower" - Daily Photo - 01/04/13
The John R. Oughton House is located in the village of Dwight, Illinois. On this property, the pictured windmill or Pumping Tower provided water for the estate beginning in 1896. In 1930, approximately five years after the death of Mr. Oughton, the house became a boarding home for patients of the Keeley Institute for the treatment of alcoholism. Mr. Oughton was a founding member of the organization; though, it is unclear if this was a bequest or an act on the initiative of his widow. One component of this "cure" included injections of gold chloride, probably a good encouragement to quit in and of itself!